Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is Santa Real?..

Ah yes, the famous question responsible for shattered dreams and for crushing the once firmly established knowledge based on a strong belief. Yes, I know that Santa, the one that lives at the North Pole and makes toys for all the children in the world and manages to deliver them all in one night, is indeed not real. Though no one would disagree that if such a person did exist life would be that much more awesome.

But as for the rest of us, I personally transitioned my belief in Santa as a real individual to a belief in the "spirit of Santa." The spirit of Santa is the remarkable power that makes parents buy all those wonderful gifts for their children. That same spirit helps our hearts grow two sizes each year as we donate our food, clothing, money, time or other goods to those in need. The spirit of Santa is one that establishes faith and goodwill to all the people we pass by on the street. That same spirit which makes us do incredibly kind things to people we don't even know. I'm sure you've noticed something interesting about the spirit of Santa. Yes, it is very similar to charity which is the pure love of Christ. Deep down it is another offspring of the true meaning of Christmas.

Will I teach my kids about Santa? Of course I will! If you ask me if I believe in Santa I will tell you "Of course!" You may be thinking that I have just contradicted myself but let me finish here (you have no choice, it's my blog and you can't stop me). When we were talking about this many years ago my dad said "well, if you don't believe in Santa how will you get any presents from him?" In our family our tradition is that we have our "under the tree presents" and then we leave out our stockings on the couch so that Santa can deliver his presents there. I want to see presents there so of course I believe in Santa! If you don't you might want to. After all, "how can you get presents from someone you believe doesn't exist?"

Merry Christmas!

2 comments: